Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What is it about a Dog?

What is it about a dog?  Furry mammals, lower on the food chain, but companions and friends and family members none the less.  Our dog is a boxer named Buffy, so named after that great female warrior, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  She is by my side as I type, her large head on my thigh.  When she wants to be pet, she nudges my right hand up and off the keyboard or mouse to receive a scratch behind the ears.  She forgives me when I am gone and always welcomes me home wagging her entire tailless butt.  She jumps for joy at the thought of her daily walk.  She barks at folks passing behind our fence, and squirrels. Buffy welcomes all once invited inside our home, and hundreds of friends and colleagues and family members have grown to know her and vice-versa.  While I watch TV reclined she will bring me a toy so that we can play tug of war.  Or, she used to.

Buffy has lung cancer and this morning I will take her to the vet where she will sleep forever.  She will trust me until the very end.  I’ll return to an empty house and put away all the food and water bowls, pack up her toys, and de-Buffy our home.  I will cry.  I miss her already. 


And I’ll wonder what it is about a dog.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about your doggy, Bob. In the past two weeks I have comforted two close friends in the loss of their 12 or 13 year old companions who have been loyal friends, when others have left or proved to be less than reliable.
    It is hard to know what to say to them or to you except that your pet lived a wonderful life full of love, never really asking anything in return except for a pat on the head or a scratch behind the ears. Surely there is a dog heaven or maybe they will be with us there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Grief runs its course and there is little any of us can do to accelerate the process.

      Delete