Pages

Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Morn

I awake at 4:45 a.m. this Christmas morning, adrenalin pumping as in days long passed.  Coffee made as a prerequisite to the smell of sizzling bacon, tree lights and house lights on, the house still quiet before the awakening, and the packages it took hours to wrap will soon be unwrapped in mere seconds converting the den to a trash heap.  There will be the laughter and wonder of little kids, but I am not one of them, nor are my children, but the children of my children.  Now, I cannot wait to see joy as others discover what I have in the name of Santa purchased and wrapped for them.  That anticipation of the giving – not receiving, has triggered my adrenalin rush.  And as the kids scurry to play post-present opening, I await that next quiet moment, alone, cup of coffee clasped in both hands, surveying the wreckage of Christmas morning, and feeling the love transmitted and received here.  Family brought close is the greatest gift, institutionalized by a father gifting his son 2,000 years ago.  Bring on the laughter and the trash!  

Merry Christmas all.

No comments:

Post a Comment