Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

Eldering

Perhaps at Christmas time more than any other educators reflect on what they are doing and why.  Now is soul-searching time on a variety of fronts, (virgin birth, wise men, sacrificing a son, etc.) and if you are a teacher or an administrator I bet you have spent some time in the last few weeks asking if what you are doing now is what you really want to do.  You may go through the same exercise during spring break and especially during the last few weeks of the school year.  But the reflection this time of year in a festooned home with remote family members suddenly juxtaposed can be the most philosophical time.  The brief moments alone, salvaged once others go to bed and lit only by the tree bulbs in an otherwise dark room, is fertile ground for reflection.  These are mine:

The information age is exactly that.  The internet has virtually hung all knowledge like low fruit.  I think that is wonderful.  I also am increasingly concerned that we are losing the line between knowledge and wisdom.  They are not the same.  Wisdom is individually accrued over years and years and those who have it are well worth seeking out.  We do not see that so much anymore as we have such ready access to knowledge.  My smart phone is smart; it is not wise.  Asking Google how to improve schools is pointless.  Ask someone with wisdom.  My window on the world is not windows 10.  It is windows 66.

I am an elder.  I was a superintendent for 17 years, and before that 23 years as an administrator and teacher.  I learned many, many lessons, few of which I have forgotten.  You may tap that knowledge, or ignore it.  You may pick another elder, or no elder at all.  I am deeply saddened by those I know who are already convinced they know all they need to know and not only have stopped learning but have started preaching.  Those of us who know better and know more, at first laugh then cry as we hear their homilies.  To preach prior to accumulating wisdom is a declaration to the world that one does not yet have wisdom.  Yes, we learn best with our mouths shut.  We learn even better when listening to those who have gone before us.  Else wise we make the same mistakes every generation suffers.  Or, every kid suffers.

I wish I could be with you while you think through your professional practice and calling.  I wish I could silently sit on the hearth and listen to you talk to you.  I would not interrupt.  I would not intervene.  That would be a violation of your sanctuary.  But I would love to hear your thoughts.  I have had similar thoughts for 40 years.  Now retired, I reflect in different ways.  Once alone with the Christmas lights I now see our issues in different light.  Brighter.  More hopeful.

You have wounds and grievances.  They must be given air to heal.  I know, I still bleed.  Find a friend you trust, no simple task, and air the foolhardiness of public education today, air the slights, air the lack of support, air the unjustified assault on your professionalism, and air the frustration with non-educators dictating to you only because they have been elected, not because they either knowledge or wisdom.  Ha!  Fools and idiots prevail in our profession and those of us serving kids fall on our swords for not blindly serving irrational, ignorant adults.  Say it.  Scream it.  Write it.  Get it out.

You have questions about remaining in education.  Is it pointless?  Is it worth it?  You have agreed to sacrifice income for the sake of making a difference.  Now, others with no wisdom or knowledge are dictating how to assess your practice with no thought toward the individual differences we can make in the lives of kids.  Improving test scores does not improve the quality of the human experience.  Air your doubts and your questions. 

In the best of all scenarios you air the wounds and grievances, the questions and frustrations in the company of an elder.  Get it out.  Then, if you are willing, dare to seek a response.  Chances are very high you will hear questions in return of such a request.  Prompts to clarify your thinking and help you find your path.  If so, you are with an elder.

And for most the current reality of schooling returns on Monday.  I hope you are rested.  I hope you are energized.  I hope you have reflected.  And I hope you have found your elder.


And I wish for you a Happy New Year, or a Happy New Semester as the case may be.  Make a difference.  May the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment