Pages

Monday, January 1, 2018

What’s Wrong with the NFL?

Headlines today tout the issue in professional football:  fewer people are watching the games.  So, why are fewer people watching the games?  I have some thoughts to share after the full disclosure that I love watching football and am a supporter of the Houston Texans and the Dallas Cowboys, and hope someday to support a winning team.  Set that aside, these are reasons that discourage me from watching NFL games:

Every televised game has a lead announcer who describes the play-by-play and an “analyst” who tells us what just happened.  Many of the analysts are former coaches or former players.  The best in the business in my humble opinion is Chris Collinsworth.  The worse, absolute worst, is Jon Gruden.  It is clear he remains a frustrated coach.  He does not so much provide analysis as he shares what he would do if he was the coach.  I don’t want to hear that.  Don’t tell me it is time to run up the middle or throw a screen pass.  Just analyze what I just saw and don’t predict what will happen.  If I have to watch a Gruden game I do so with the sound muted.

I am also put off by the entire sports analysts’ entourage.  If I have to listen to one more group of overpaid, poorly (but expensively) dressed former athletes and coaches sit around a semi-circular table telling us what they think has happened, will happen, etc., I am going to scream.  I don’t care what you think.  I resent the fact that you guys, and now gals, are making a small fortune just talking about football.  Every guy in every bar in America can do the same, and many have more insight and humor than any of you.  Just have commercials, show the half-time shows, or show highlight reels and get the talking heads out of here.

I am growing more and more sad watching professional football, or college ball and high school ball for that matter.  I know I am watching men in prime physical condition encouraging the onslaught of CTE.  Every player will have some brain damage, some more than others.  And I wonder how long bright young men will be willing to perform in this sport knowing they are killing their brains.  In many ways, it is time for the sport to radically change the rules or the equipment to protect athletes.  Otherwise, the brightest athletes will not play and the less than bright will continue to migrate toward the less than bright end of the scale.

I totally support players’ rights to protest peacefully.  Kneeling before a game does not offend me because I know America is bigger than its symbols and one of the ways it is bigger is that we allow protests.  What I have a hard time mastering is the thought that these adults want to be seen a serious citizens with an issue until they score a touchdown at which point they become terrible juvenile vaudevillian dancers.  I hate the celebrations.  It does not happen in baseball, golf, track, basketball, etc.  Only in football do grown men do stupid little dances after they do something they are paid to do.  Be like baseball players and if the fans continue to clap, turn around and tip your cap.  The message you send is “I am great and to hell with the concept of team.”  Please, grow up.  I will respect your humility but not your personalized celebration.

And football has saturated the market.  Games on Sunday, Monday, Thursday, sometimes Friday is way too much.  Just play on Sunday.  All those games expand the need for talking heads and they need to go as well.  Even if a game is not on the TV there are always people talking about the games that have been on TV or will be on TV.  That is too much.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and CBS all access.  Television in general has dramatically improved.  Almost any time of the day or night I can find quality television to watch, and if it is not being broadcast I can watch it via one of my subscriber services.  If a Thursday night game competes with my favorite TV show and one of my teams is not playing, I will watch the TV show and skip the game.  As the quality of TV improves the football fan base will shrink.  We will stop watching millionaires playing a game under the direction and ownership of other millionaires.  

In the end I suspect football players will go the way of the gladiators, and billion dollar stadiums the way of the coliseum.  If so, high school boys and their parents can stop dreaming of a free ride in college that will scramble brains and actually focus on academics, which, silly me, I think is the purpose of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment