Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

In the Blink of One Eye

I logged on the Edna ISD website yesterday and learned I am gone.  I do not exist.  Under "Superintendent" it now lists the interim and, more painful for me, my blog there is gone.  I posted one last post to the staff on Tuesday, October 1, and doubt that many got to see it.  I am gone in the blink of an eye.  In the Blink of one eye. Therefore,  I re-post here just so that it will not be lost:



My Out Post

The Board meets October 1 (tonight) to name an interim superintendent and I check out once he is named.  This is my last day.  You know me.  I could not leave without one more post.

What a wonderful 14+ years I have had in Edna.  Friends made here will last a lifetime and I do not worry about losing you though our roles and the basis of our relationship may change.  I have always said I am a guy named Bob with a job to do.  I did my job.  I remain Bob.

I have learned much about our community since my arrival here.  We are not perfect.  I have learned that for many it is safer to avoid conflict and communicate sideways.  I prefer face-to-face to Facebook, and yet I have learned of issues and feelings and concerns from Facebook.  Sometimes I have never learned, never heard, and never understood the issues.  In those cases no one came to sit with me and openly share what they were thinking and feeling, preferring to play “I’ve got a secret”.  I will assure you of this:  In 14 years no one, absolutely no one has ever gotten in trouble with me, lost their job, etc., for stepping forward and speaking the truth.  There has been no retaliation from my office; there has been only fear of retaliation.  It is only fear that keeps us from sharing.  Be bold.  Be a professional.  Leaders lead best when they know how folks are thinking and feeling.  If you have a problem with a person, tell that person.  Posting it elsewhere, sharing in HEB or never saying a word will not resolve the problem.  It will make things worse.

I have learned we need to teach driving lessons to many of our parents.  If you park on the side of FM 1822 and walk across the road and jump the ditch to pick up your child rather than simply waiting in the parent line you are not only spending more time than need be, you are placing yourself and your child at great risk.  If you stop to double park in front of the junior high gym when dropping off your child you are clogging a major thoroughfare and forcing everyone to wait.  Be reasonable.  Be sensitive.  Be safe.  Be patient. (OK, end of pet peeves.)

But mostly I have learned what a wonderful community this is.  I have never seen folks rally to help their fellows in time of need, whether it is from disease or fire or whatever, folks in Edna respond.  We chip in.  We help out.  I have never lived in a community so full of good Samaritans.  I have never lived in a community that is so open.  Everyone waives.  We do not judge folks by the pigment or ink in their skin.  I love that about living here.  I will leave here having friends across the racial, ethnic, income, religious and gender lines and I am proud of it.  We are all precious and flawed.  We are all human beings and merit each other’s support and openness.

Our school system and our staff are absolutely top notch.  It is so hard to explain to non-educators that we are in the future business and what we do today is mindful of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years from now, because that is when we will really learn if kids have learned.  Staff who are most unpopular for a behavior today may in fact be better preparing kids for an uncertain future than others.  We educators are by nature collaborators.  We know that if we find something that helps kids and we do not share what we have found we are harming all the other kids. So we share, we plan, we collaborate.  We do not want to compete because that hurts kids.  I would swap staff with any so-called “Exemplary” school system and I know our staff would yield even higher outcomes in the Exemplary district while the imported teachers teaching our kids will lower our outcomes tremendously.  We teach.  We teach everyone.  We teach anyone.  Of that I am very proud.

Yes, I am proud of our facilities and am proud of our financial stability and status, and I have been proud of the leadership stability and improvement.  Our mission is to ensure a quality education for all and I believe every day we are all working hard to achieve that mission.  I encourage you to keep doing so.

We are professional educators in a very unique time frame in our nation.  We are asked to address every issue in our society from childhood obesity, to dental exams, to physical fitness, to providing after school activities and Friday night entertainment.  And teach to standards set outside the realm of public education.  We are asked to do so with more and more technology but with no additional money.  (I always thought it funny that when schools add technology we do not reduce the number of employees, we increase it.)  We are asked to do so needing more and more staff but with no additional money.  We are to be all things to all people, solve all the problems and be content with the funding we have.  That is ludicrous, but that is where we are.

We also function in a time when elected officials perceive that they know more about educating kids than we do.  They know more about curriculum, standards, accountability, testing, instructional programs, and professional evaluation than we do.  They do not; they just perceive that they do.  I believe we have been handed such officials by voters who do not understand the issues.  We must be professional.  We must teach our parents, our voters, our board members our legislators what professional education is and is not, what works and what does not.  And in my book that means be aware of our professional practice beyond the walls of our classrooms, buildings, and school districts.  If not, we will be subject to more and more ridiculous and private sector-based mandates that hurt teachers and kids and do not promote our primary mission.  Worse, we are asked to do so by billionaires who want to experiment in our schools, and they want us to experiment while they take away or divert more money to new experiments.  Public schools must survive.  The next generation depends on us.  The answers lie with us, not around a board table, or in Austin or in Washington.  We must be aware and vigilant.  We must be professional.

I will step down from my soap box.  I will take one more sentimental journey up and down all our new halls on my last afternoon.  I will stop, catch your eye and say goodbye.  You will have a new leader soon.  I wish him or her and you the very best.  Kids in Edna deserve that.

I deeply thank the 27,000+ souls who have read this blog.  I will continue to write and post on one-eyedbob.blogspot.com and invite you to join me there.  But this is my last post on this blog.  This is and has been my out post.

Goodbye and God Bless

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment