Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Goodbye, Robbie

I was with you really only a handful of times in your 28 years, son of my brother.  I loved you, but you probably have no evidence of that.  You were my brother’s son and I loved you by definition.  I cared about you, your life, your well-being, and know in my heart of hearts there is very little I would not have done for you.  Yes, I feel guilt that I did not do more, did not reach out more, did not pay more attention.  I know now you were wounded and I failed to see the wound.  You were never worthless, you were never without charm and a winning smile, you were never without huge potential, you were never without the possibility of a great life ahead of you, and you were never un-loved.

And now, you will never be here to hear that.  So, I guess I write this for me. 
With God's help I will tend to those you leave behind.  But, I miss you my nephew. 
Goodbye, Robbie.  
R.I.P.
11/24/11

No comments:

Post a Comment