Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sideways

There is an old phenomenon that has gained acceleration thanks to social media:  Going sideways.  I have experienced the sideways effect in teacher lounges, Sunday school classes, and at water coolers, where groups of folks sit around and gossip or complain.  I suspect that started eons ago in the first human settlements.  Social media has magnified and multiplied the impact of the rumor.  Some school systems have gone so far to set up a button on their websites to address rumors.  I wonder if those are used?  I wonder if we should have one?

The premise of going sideways is pretty simple.  Let's say I'm mad at a new ruling by the Commissioner of Education that I perceive negatively impacts our school system.  I could blog about it, I could post it on Facebook, I could complain every time I get together with other administrators or the Board, or, I could email the commissioner and let him know what I think.  Or, I could do all of the above.  But, if I am mad at someone and don't tell that someone, then I am going sideways.  I prefer going directly to them.

We have a principal that is really good about this.  If he is distressed or disturbed he immediately lets me know.  If he becomes aware of someone going sideways about him, he directly contacts them to find out what  is going on.  I like that.  I respect that.  Probably scares the bejabbers out of folks, but I think it's healthy.

We went through a couple of mini-crisis here at the beginning of the year that all began with people going sideways.  I never received a phone call, an email, or a visit about the volleyball schedule or the freshmen signs, but I was very aware of the Facebook furor over those issues.  So, I called a meeting and talked about the decisions made.  People came.  We talked.  People left OK.  Perhaps not thrilled, but OK. No one lost their job, no child has experienced retribution.

That's the thing about decisions:  If a decision has to be made chances are there are folks who would like to select option A, and another group who would like option B.  There may be options C, D, etc.  Someone must select an option, and as soon as the selection is made, folks may be disappointed, or even angry.  That is always true, and even more so as money gets tighter and tighter and more and more often the option selected sounds more like "no" than "yes."

Those of us employed by this school system are public servants.  We adhere to a set of principles and standards that are mapped out in policy and law.  We also practice our profession following a set of moral imperatives:  Do no harm.  Welfare of kids first.  Best interest of all with protection of the few.  We do not wake up each morning and develop conspiratorial plans to harm a child, a program, an event.  And, we do not punish kids, parents, staff or community members for either bringing problems to our attention or expressing disagreement with a decision. 

I'm not soliciting problems here.  I am soliciting responses to problems if they develop.  Call.  Write.  Show up if you have a problem.  If you go sideways, it will take longer to find a solution and the solution will be set in an emotional context that makes the solution more complicated. 

I enjoy Facebook and am on it.  I am able to keep in touch with family and friends all over the place by reading their status reports.  I am uncomfortable when it becomes a tool for rumor, hearsay and gossip.  We do not need digital lynch mobs.  We do not need a Two-Facedbook.

My phone number is 361-782-3573.  I office at 1307 W. Gayle, Edna, TX 77957.  My email address is bwells@ednaisd.org.  I make a lot of decisions.  Some may turn out to be not so good.  Let me know straight-ways.  Better for me, better for you, better for our kids.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment