Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

Ex Machina



(Possible spoilers ahead, though I have really tried to avoid those to encourage you to see the movie!)

The phrase deus ex machina is a Latin theatrical term meaning "god from a machine" and refers to the theatrical ploy of introducing a god to resolve plot conundrums.  Knowing that, I saw Alex Garland’s (writer and director) Ex Machina yesterday afternoon and I am still processing.  Wife and I were one of two couples in the otherwise empty theater.  So strange that a film that has received virtually all positive reviews and addresses the incredibly difficult topic of humans and artificial intelligence was not well attended.  This is not your typical Star Wars or Trek action science fiction film.  This is a thinking person’s exploration of what is human and what is artificial intelligence and what is the difference?  I found it intense.   I found it profound.  I found it incredibly revealing of the essence of humanity and computers.  And I found it to trigger a deeply personal response.

Steven Hawking, imminent British physicist, recently warned that the development of truly intelligent machines would likely end human existence, or at least human hegemony on earth.  Garland walks us down the same troubling path.  In the end I was fooled by the director’s character development to the extent that I left the theater with my mind racing.  Similar shows have always intrigued me:  The Forbin Project, War Games, Matrix, Person of Interest, Terminator, etc.  This movie is profoundly different from those other plots.  Ex Machina wrestles with the same questions as arise in the other human/computer tension shows, but does so on a micro scale, intimately portraying the attributes of both.

I know that I am naive in many ways, almost Pollyanna in terms of my interpersonal relationships.  I enter into a relationship trusting the other until I learn otherwise, if ever.  And when I learn persons I have trusted did not merit such trust I am crushed, I am deeply wounded.  Ex Machina reminded me to celebrate my human mind while guarding my heart. 

Please consider seeing this movie.  It is good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment