Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Invisible Man

I am opaque.  Light bounces off me and others can see me.  In fact, there is more of me to see than there was 20 years ago, but that is my issue.  So, why do I feel like the invisible man?
I am transparent.  By law, my contract must be available to all on line.  The expenses I incurred while traveling each year must be on line.  My emails are subject to open records requests, and even my personal cell phone is subject to such requests if I have used it to call or text anyone regarding school issues.  My email address must be available to all and each day I receive 100’s of emails from vendors and solicitors who have extracted my address from the TEA or district website.  My evaluation is based largely on the success of implementing the District Improvement Plan, which is also on line.  When the Board discusses my evaluation and/or my contract it must be posted on the agenda for everyone to see.  My contract requires that I am active in local organizations so I am a member of Lions and Rotary and the Methodist Church.  My contract also calls for me to have an annual medical exam and that the doctor report to the Board regarding whether I am fit to work or not.  Recently, even my personal medical health became a public issue and I made a public statement regarding depression.  Who else is required to do all that?  Even the Legislature that requires this much transparency does not require the same of themselves.
I do additional things to be even more transparent.  I have an open door policy which means you do not have to have an appointment to come talk, and many of you do.  I write this blog and others to share with both our employees and community what is going on in Edna ISD and my take on issues.  Each time the District Team, Cabinet and the Board meet I ask for input, ideas, suggestions, and concerns.  I am getting ready to start my rounds of fireside chats whereby I can sit and talk with each faculty and respond to questions and concerns.  I am as open as I can be.  I am transparent.  I know of no other profession that has such requirements for transparency as those applied to public school superintendents.
Want to know what I think?  Just ask.  Have a problem or concern?  Just share.
I worry about becoming so transparent that I become invisible. 
Can you see me now?

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Wells,

    You are anything but invisible, kind sir. On the contrary, you are very visible even by your own description. You may not know who I am, but I know you well. You mention your recent battle with depression but you, sir, are a beacon of light to your community, friends and family. Please know that while your person may be transparent on paper, you are seen as the very example of a model friend and citizen.

    The requirement of transparency from a man in your position is understandable if a little overwhelming. This is something I will never fully understand personally. I do know this however... Strong is the man who stands in such light! I could not do so much.


    You are far from invisible. You show care, attention and love for your peers and others do see this.

    It is one of the many reasons you are so loved.


    - One among your pack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear One among my pack,

    Your comment deeply touched me. Thank you. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your kind words and caring attitude. I will continue to strive to merit such support. BW

    ReplyDelete