Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Of Cars and Schools

(I changed the title of this blog from Fuel Efficient Muscle Cars to the current title because I had so many hits from car shoppers seeking a fuel efficient muscle car.  LOL.  Perhaps this title will clear the air.  BW, 7/22/13)

I loved my 1974 Z-28 Camaro.  It was a great car.  I was single, had just started teaching, and sold my old Volkswagen Beetle to buy the Camaro.  It was hot.  I got about 9 miles per gallon, it was dark blue with deeply tinted T-tops, and with the twin pipes and 4 barrel carburetor you could hear me coming from miles away.  Gas cost 34¢ per gallon.  I will not likely ever own another such car.
I should be driving a Prius, or a Leaf, or a Volt or some other such fuel efficient vehicle.  Yes, they cost more, but they do not cost more than the truck I am driving.  Even so, I just can’t picture myself (even my old self) in such a buggy.  I still see me in Z-28, or a Vette, or a Mustang GT, or something fun to drive, spirited, fast, high performing.  I even miss my MG. 
As the price of new vehicles goes up, the price of gas goes up, and the wide array of available cars increases, my vehicle selection changes.  What I would like is a fuel efficient muscle car.  Something that gets about 40+ miles per gallon, is hot, fast, quick, nimble and loaded with creature comforts for less than $20,000.  Sound reasonable?  Sound possible?
We get it that we can’t be both fuel efficient and high performing when it comes to cars.  Why is that so hard to get when it comes to schools?
We are asked to perform to ever higher standards, be ever more efficient, and spend less and less money.  You should be screaming.  There is no fuel efficient muscle car.  There is no cheap way to be a high performing school district.  Tell our legislators that we cannot go faster and farther with less gas and better mileage. 
And you do not improve performance with more gauges on the dashboard.

2 comments:

  1. After administering the STAAR today I can't agree more with your car analogy. My kiddos were working on all cylinders, shoveling in goldfish and cheerios and still needed more power.

    ReplyDelete